The Civil Jurisdiction of the Magistrates’ Court hears matters concerning debt recovery, claims for property damage and other monetary disputes. The Court also has jurisdiction to grant equitable relief in certain matters. The monetary limit is $100,000 unless the parties agree to a higher value, and the Court has the power to grant the remedy sought.
The Criminal Jurisdiction determines summary offences and some indictable offences and conducts committal hearings for more serious indictable offences. The Court also presides over various traffic-related offences such as parking violations, speeding, drink driving and driving under the influence of drugs.
The Criminal Jurisdiction has five specialised divisions, each of which have distinct processes, specific to the objectives of that division. These are the:
- Assessment and Referral Court (ARC)
- Koori Court
- Neighbourhood Justice Centre
- Family Violence Court Division
- Drug Court
There is a separate sexual offences list with specialised processes and a fraud list with its own complex procedures. The criminal division of the Children’s Court deals with criminal allegations against children aged between 10 and 17 years, pursuant to the Children, Youth and Families Act 2005.
We have a working knowledge of the Magistrates’ Court processes with a sound understanding of the legislation, rules and practice directions applicable to each jurisdiction.
If you have a matter in any division of the Magistrates’ Court, we can appear on your behalf. Our experienced lawyers have sound advocacy skills and will promptly report to you after your matter is heard.
Representing your clients
Our local agency services are reliable and cost-effective, providing you and your client with affordable and professional representation. We are minutes from Heidelberg Magistrates’ Court and can attend and appear on your behalf at short notice.
We offer standard Court filing and document lodgement, return of subpoena or can appear on your behalf for simple mentions or more complex and contested hearings.
Court attendance services include:
- Status conferences
- Directions hearings
- Conciliation conferences
- Hearings and contested matters
With extensive knowledge of Court processes and practices, we can also offer assistance with the preparation of Court documents and advice on jurisdictional and other aspects of your matter in the Magistrates’ Court.
Why use RT Legal as your local agent?
Simple – our local lawyers have local knowledge and an in-depth understanding of local practices. We offer:
- Convenience – if you are not local, we will attend Court on your behalf saving you time and resources better spent elsewhere.
- Efficiency and reliability – we have a track record for our reliability and readiness to appear at short notice. We offer an efficient reporting process, so you can promptly communicate Court outcomes and orders back to your client.
- Experience with Court procedures and practices – our lawyers have local experience and sound advocacy skills. We will represent your client with the level of enthusiasm and attention we would give our own, to ensure the desired outcome is achieved.
- Your client remains your client – by using an agent you secure your client and remain the solicitor on record. You retain control over the matter by appointing competent, experienced professionals – no referrals to other firms just because the matter isn’t your ‘usual’ area of practice and no risk of losing business to another firm.
If you have a matter that requires the attention of a competent and professional agent, please call us, in confidence, to discuss.